List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: standardizing modes of text selection
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () virgilio ! it>
Date:       2004-03-18 16:10:29

On Thursday 18 March 2004 16:45, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 18 März 2004 10:00 schrieb Luciano Montanaro:
> [...]
> > I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, I think I sent a much less detailed
> > message on this list lamenting the fact that konqueror location combo does
> > not work this way. The single, double and tripleclick behaviour described
> > is consistent with "old style" XWindows programs. I actually find it way
> > more useful, since most of the time, I want to yank whole words anyway.
>
> The konqueror location bar is an exception because it is considered that more
> people want to select the whole address (to copy or clear it) than to select
> parts.
>
> I'd even go as far as to propose that, deviating from the word by word
> selection, urls in html texts are always fully selected on double clicks
> (that would immensely help on fora that disallow html postings, and also
> don't convert links).
>
> I. e. double clicking on
>
> http://www.bla.invalid/foo/|bar/baz/
>
> where | marks the double click position, will select "bar".
>
> IMHO, it should select the whole url.
> But this beyond my proposal.

Why, sure. However, "Whole words" are usually considered separated
by whitespace. So www.foo.bar/baz would be considered a whole word by
the selection algorithm. Try that in konsole. That is the behaviour I think
we should use. The current behaviour is almost, but not quite, correct.
If you happen to have a particularly firm hand (or if you are in a lucky day)
you can select the full url by double clicking it. But the smallest movement
moves the selection end to the pointer position, which means having to drag
the selection to the line end most of the times.

Luciano