List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: simpler UI for konqy
From:       Carlos Leonhard Woelz <carloswoelz () imap-mail ! com>
Date:       2004-01-16 23:53:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 16 January 2004 21:10, Max O'Shea wrote:
> Whatever you do, you do _not_ want another browser. That will just confuse
> and complicate matters.

I do want another browser. I stated why. Just look Konqueror menus and
configurations to see why a new browser is needed. It is _hard_  to find your
way around that jungle. Konqueror is a powerful tool and I love it, don't get
me wrong. It is extremely useful as a general browser to a power user,and
that is why it is important to keep this "general browser" form too.

Suppose you agree with me, and a simplified browser is needed too. You can:

1 - Brand it as an independent application
  a) Being a different application, really
  b) Being a heavily modifies view profile

2 - Keep using it under Konqueror
  a) as a heavily modified view profile
  b) as a profile similar to others
  c) as a slightly modified profile

Changes are necessary to make Konqueror a easy to use browser, but most of the
technology is already there. The question is how to do it.

Only the developers can tell is 1a or 1b are the way to go. With 2a, it may be
confusing for the user: how two apps that have different menus and configs
have the same name? With 2b, you stay as you are and with 2c, you lose the
benefits of the identity in toolbars (training, memory, etc...) to gain a
little specialization.

>When you view a web page in Konqueror, the toolbar does change a bit. You get
>a few extra buttons etc. etc. Same with file browsing. I think the only main
>problems are the up button and the home button.

And the up button is not so bad if you put an icon that show what it does: go
up in the directory structure. And these are not the only main problems.
The main problems are the menus, the configuration, the context dialogs and
the toolbars.

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz