List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Re: CTRL+ENTER or ENTER?
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde () carewolf ! com>
Date:       2004-01-11 15:21:44

On Sunday 11 January 2004 13:14, Michael Pye wrote:
> On Saturday 10 January 2004 16:07, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > KDE apps being inconsistent with their very own desktop's HIG rules is by
> > definition more inconvenient. Take a look at Apple - they have very
> > strict HIG rules. KDE's style guide is very weak in that respect, the few
> > rules that are there have to be obeyed strictly as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Do you not feel that in this case you are putting an abstract guide before
> the real usefulness of the app? For most users, Ctrl-Enter does not exist,
> and neither does the Configure Shortcuts dialogue. And even if it did, it's
> a bit of a stretch to realise that it is a shortcut which can be
> configured.
>
> I think you condemn an awful lot of people with this decision.

It works for icq, it can work for kopete. If it was that hard to figure out
for most people, icq wouldnt be the most widely used IM.

But I agree it's a stretch to imagine the behavior to be adjusted in Configure
Shortcuts. It should rather be an option under messenger-behavior, near the
choice of chat vs message windows.