List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: More usable desktop setup
From:       Sebastien Laout <sebastien.laout () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2004-01-11 12:28:35

> Instead of introducing more complexity, why not just file bugs against
> the programs that dump non-hidden files in $HOME?
>
> I have:
>
> Desktop
> Mail
> Webcam_Pictures
> amsn_received
>
> The only one that I think don't belongs there is "amsn_received" and
> "Mail" (until it becomes browsable one day..). So that's 2 directories
> (no unhidden files) made by perhaps just 2 applications out of the
> hundreds installed.

YES !
IT'S THE RIGHT WAY !

I don't want to have so and so many sub directorys (we are not in a
Windows system : "C:/Document and Settings/User Name/My Documents/My
pictures".
We have a short and convenient way to use filesystem : use it.

My sister don't anderstand filesystem very well and can't do the
difference between /home/name and /home/name/Documents.
It's a broken concept and UNIX system have /home/name for documents.
That's all : we must use it and ALL config files and non hand-editable
files must be hidden (especialy ~/Mail : users can break things when
browse them).

My sister is also lost when they are some strange folder names like :
/home/name/tmp => Should be hidden (non hand-editable)
/home/name/GNUStep => We don't use this so I've deleted it by hand !
/home/name/evolution => "Ho ! my mails are here : cool I will browse
                         them" : and she can delete files that are vital
/home/name/Desktop => We are french and she dislike to have english
                      words : I've renamed it to "Bureau" (this folder
                      is good but must be i18n()ed (and KDE allow this
                      by configuring paths : so we MUST i18n() it) !

So, when we remove all those directory : we have JUST two folders :
Desktop
Documents
It's stupid to have too subdirectory : documents must be in /home/seb
directly !
And, eventually, have subfolders like :
Music (all music and downloaded music)
Downloads (all download from Kopete, Ksirc, P2P.... all ! )
Images (images and wallpapers to search from)
Projects
Programation (for programers :) )

When KDE will have this sain structure, we will have done a great step
forward !
Since few weeks I use this and moved all my ~/documents/* to ~/ and
that's work (just Mail/evolution and tmp that are not beatifful (but
I've asigned a "mail" icon to evolution and a "grey_folder" icon to tmp)
but it's work).
And eventually, allow to personalize the TMP folder path !!!!

Thank you.