List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: CTRL+ENTER or ENTER?
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2004-01-09 22:28:50

Citat Michael Pye <mdpye@ntlworld.com>:
> I can ask every user I know if you want, but I can tell you beforehand
> that
> not a single one will advocate Ctrl-Enter for an IM client. And I can
> also
> tell you that none of them would customise it, they'd look for a
> different
> client. I could add to that fact that most of them really wouldn't work
> out
> to use Ctrl-Enter at all, they'd use the mouse for a while and then get
> frustrated.

Just as i can ask most IM users i know and they think multiline messages are
normal. I think the difference is tha i know about 200 ICQ users, 5 MSN
users, and 1 Yahoo user, while i think your numbers would be quite different.

No matter how you put it, i *really* can't see how it can be logical that a
MULTILINE input field does something different when you hit enter. Should
konqueror submit form data when you hit enter in one of those too, since you
will often not enter more than one paragraph right?

> Enter is the way to go in IM. Possibly not in IRC where the general level
> of
> noise might make multi line responses hard to string together, but in
> generally two party apps like MSN or Yahoo, Enter is the only intuitive
> way
> to go.

Heh, the difference is that in the IRC clients i have seen, you use a line
input to type the message, in which case i think it makes plenty of sense to
send it when hitting enter, i mean, what else should enter do in that case?

Mvh
Troels