List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: CTRL+ENTER or ENTER?
From:       Sashmit Bhaduri <smt () inbox ! lv>
Date:       2004-01-10 7:44:23

On Friday 09 January 2004 23:26, Troels Tolstrup wrote:
> No matter how you put it, i *really* can't see how it can be logical that a
> MULTILINE input field does something different when you hit enter. Should
> konqueror submit form data when you hit enter in one of those too, since
> you will often not enter more than one paragraph right?

Ah, but there _is_ a difference between web forms (and most multiline input
fields) and input fields of IM clients.

With most modern IM clients (except ICQ), input fields of IM clients aren't
simply multiline. Rather, their /primary/ function is to be single line; but
have the flexibility to be multiline (with ctrl-ENTER). This is what most
users expect these days, unless they are ICQ users. Nearly every other IM
client in existance does otherwise.

It doesn't matter if the widget itself happens to be a
QTextEdit/QMultiLineEdit/etc... that's mostly looking at it from a
developer's perspective.

Expecting users to set it up for themselves using "Configure Shortcuts..." is
quite baffling to me. Most users won't even think of doing that. I certainly
didn't until I was told of it.