List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: CTRL+ENTER or ENTER?
From:       Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro () 6mil ! pt>
Date:       2004-01-09 14:44:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Era Sexta 09 Janeiro 2004 01:15, e o Frans Englich escreveu:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Kopete, the last change I checked, as well as KSirc judging from the cvs
> commits uses ctrl+enter to submit messages instead of enter.

I think only ICQ clients use ctrl-enter *by default* to send a message. All
other IM clients I tried use enter to send, even third-party ICQ clients.

What I think would be the best solution is to allow for configuration of
send/newline key and assign the default acordingly to the expected default
behavior for *each* protocol. I don't know if its easy/possible to implement
this feature for each protocol, but this way a user that comes from ICQ would
get the expected behavior and the same would be true for MSN and IRC. And
someone who wants it different can change it.

But I'm not so sure having different defaults for different protocols would be
a good usability feature.

--
Rui Malheiro				Edifício Empresarial 3 - Sala 2.09
Director Técnico				Pólo Tecnológico de Lisboa