List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: CTRL+ENTER or ENTER?
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2004-01-09 13:16:20

Quoting Frans Englich <frans.englich@telia.com>:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Kopete, the last change I checked, as well as KSirc judging from the cvs
>
> commits uses ctrl+enter to submit messages instead of enter.
>
> I see several reasons for not doing this:
> A1: One review have quite well outlined it is not wanted.

Probably because the reviewer is used to IM programs that does send on
enter, this does however not have much to do with whatever it is a good idea
or not.

> A2: All other IM's I know of use ENTER - our behavior is inconsistent and
> tons

ICQ uses ctrl-enter.

> of users.
> A3: Multiline messages is very rarely used. How often do you see it on
> IRC?

Never? I do see it all the time on ICQ however.

> Reasons for doing it:
> B1: It is consistent with KMail(possible others)
> B2: Doing multiline messages is easier and consistent with normal
> editing.
>
> I don't find it very hard to judge what behavior to choose. What do you
> think?

Right, i find that ctrl-enter is better, it also makes it harder to send a
message by mistake, ao nope, wasn't hard to judge ;)

But i guess it also depends on how you use IM. I personally only care about
ICQ as for me it is crucial that i can send offline messages, i basically
use ICQ as a form of light email. (probably like others uses SMS, i just go
insane writing SMS messages, before even completing the first word)

That said, i would be annoyed if IRC required ctrl-enter to send, but then
again, i differentiate quite strongly between an instant message session and
a chat session, and never really understood why those two forms was combined
into one program. But then again, i never really did understand why the file
manager and web browser should be the same program either, to me it just
makes both parts poorer. (i for instance don't think konqueror is
particularly good as either a file manager or a browser, as no matter what
mode it is in, i keep seeing options that only really makes sense in the
other modes)

Mvh
Troels