List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Suggestion to allow easier maintainance of software distributed
From:       Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro () 6mil ! pt>
Date:       2004-01-09 11:57:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Era Quinta 08 Janeiro 2004 23:36, e o een3sae@leeds.ac.uk escreveu:
> In my opinion tarballs are a developer friendly/user unfriendly format.
> Developers love them as it is realtively quick and simple to distribute
> software like this, but they are quite awakward for your average user to
> deal with and use to install software.

The "average" user should install software using the packages supplied by his
distribution of choice. If a user *really* needs to install tarballs, he
shuld be using a distribution that uses tarballs for package management.
Making it easier for a user to "break" his distribution is a Bad Thing, IMHO.

Having said that, adding RPM "compatibility" to Kconfigure might be nice for
advanced users. But even then, that's probably too distribution specific to
be implemented in a generic way.

--
Rui Malheiro				Edifício Empresarial 3 - Sala 2.09
Director Técnico				Pólo Tecnológico de Lisboa