List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KControl brainstorming in all its aspects
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2004-01-07 11:23:37

Dnia Wednesday 07 of January 2004 05:07, Frans Englich napisał:
> O:ld name
> N:ew name
>
> O: Component Chooser
> N: Default Applications

Agree

> O: Vim Component Configuration
> N: Vim
> //Shouldn't this one be moved out anyway?

It should stay in kcontrol because it can affect many apps. But Vim can
be misleading - global Vim configuration? Suggests:
Vim Embedding (this E word is overused but it matches here IMO).

> O: KDE Wallet
> N: Wallet
> //this one relies heavily on the metaphor..

Why not just: Password management?

> O: Peripherals
> N: Hardware

Agree.

> O: Display Power Control
> N: Monitor
> //assuming it stays in "Power Control"
>
> O: KDE Components
> N: ?
> // A lot of it moved to other places anyway.
>
> O: k3bsetup2
> N: CD Writing
> // or burning? This have been discussed before, I think there were some
> translation issues..

What is more natural in english? I suppose 'burning'. BTW it can already
handle DVDs.

> O: Country/Region & Language
> N: Country & Language

Agree.

> O: System Administration
> N: I don't know.. it sounds so serious.. especially Administration..

IMO it should sounds serious. In this part should go special modules
- if you mess with them it can affect stability of system.

> ------------- Moves/Refactoring/Merging --------------
>
> * Merge "Appearance & Themes/Panel" and, ehh, "Desktop/Panel". I have a
> patch for this.

Yes, yes, yes.

> * Merge "System administration/Font Installer" and "Appearance &
> Themes/Fonts"

Yes.

> ---------------------- Miscellaneous -----------------------
> * /*_A_*/ /*_lot_*/ of options in the different modules can be removed or
> merged(centralized) but that can wait and will generate a lot of noise.
> Those claiming less information is not faster and easier to parse than
> more information is just talking bullshit, IMHO. As part of this cleanup
> and merging of kcms, lessen the amount of options is essential.

Not necessarily. Note in many kcm's options are placed very loosely. You
can lessen distances between them and reduce number of panels at all.

> * Then there's this "Local Network Chat", "File Sharing" and "MLDonkey"
> in "Internet & Network". Should some/all be moved to "KAdmin"?(and if
> not, isn't it then application specific?) Should it be in kde at all? I
> remember some of this(kchat) was discussed long ago but can't recall
> anything useful. I hardly know what the things is. Feel free to make some
> noise about it. I also wonder about this "Image Index" in "System
> Administration".

MLDonkey is application configuration. There could be separate branch
for Applications and there would be application specific kcm's.

> unavoidable. No matter where we put root-kcm's the user will have to use
> them and from the user's perspective it's illogical structuring having
> kcms in one place because they're root kcms.

Agree.

> * In the long run merge "KDE Components" with "System Administration".

Or move appropriate elements to other sections. But "KDE Components"
blah, blah delendam esse ;)

m.