List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker clock applet - bugs on a date
From:       Stian =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8iland?= <stian () soiland ! no>
Date:       2004-01-04 16:37:27

On 2004-01-03 03:36:49, Frans Englich wrote:

> Rationalis(partly from the discussion on KDE-Accessibility):
> The text is in size 8pts which is _really_ small. Old people and people with
> vision difficulties probably find it impossible to interpret and it wouldn't
> surprise me if typical users find it cumbersome(I do on my 800x600 screen).
> It has another advantage, from a esthetic POV I find it better, IMHO: It is
> lighter and more minimalistic, the kicker interface is a little simpler and
> not so overwhelming. Removes a little bit of the KDE's "bloatness"
> impression.

I agree that it is better to remove items with unreadable text than to
keep them. However, I wish this thing could be an option, with the
default to not show the date.

I love having the date available all the time, as I never remember what
day it is. On my laptop, the date is clearly readable for ME. (but not
for my mom :=) ).

I get most use for the date thingie when paying bills in my Internet
bank. The web application is rather silly, as it does not include
today's date as a default, and that it deletes whatever partial date is
entered if window focus is lost.

By having the date as a mouse-over only, the focus on the browser will
be lost while I'm hovering the clock (due to X-focus). This clears the
partial date entered (I usually know the year and month) due to some
stupid javascript... =)

Back to the case. Make the date field optional. I think this could be a
great loss, I love the feature that "Clicking on the date brings up a
calendar", it's one excellent usability feature, immediately
understandable.

--
Stian Søiland               Work toward win-win situation. Win-lose
Trondheim, Norway           is where you win and the other lose.