List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KControl brainstorming
From:       William Leese <william () leese ! nl>
Date:       2004-01-04 16:41:21

Dominique Devriese wrote:
> William Leese writes:
>

>>Dominique Devriese wrote:
>>
>>>A very important followup from Kurt Pfeifle "I think one of the
>>>most important immediate things is to make a change that clearly
>>>differentiates between per-user settings and system admin settings.
>>>As I said elsewhere already, it should possibly even become split
>>>into two different beasts: KControl and KAdmin or some such.
>

>>So I hope that KControl or it's successor will remain the single
>>point of configuration it is today, and that for kiosk mode and
>>other lockdown features another app will be available.
>
> I don't understand your reasoning.  On the one hand, you're saying
> everything that is configurable about a computer should be in
> KControl, and the next sentence you say "except for KIOSK and other
> lockdown features".

Let's put it differently: everything a home user would reasonably want
to configure should be in KControl. Kiosk mode for example is one of
those things a home user would rarely want to use, so it wouldn't belong
in KControl and should go into KAdmin, for example.

> How is something like, say, software installation, or UNIX user
> management different from KIOSK ?

See above.

All home users will want to install software. Hardly any home users will
want to configure Kiosk mode.

> I don't see how you can see
> something like UNIX user management as separate from KIOSK.  In my
> opinion, they should really become more integrated, as they both deal
> with the management of who can access your machine, and what rights he
> has on it.

This is exactly what I'm worried about. You're completely right from a
technical perspective, but a users (someone who isn't into computers)
perspective is completely different. You can't tell someone who knows
little about computers: "Well to change the time on your computer you
have to go to KAdmin stead of KControl, because it requires root
permission". The average response to this would be: "Huh, root? What's
that? I just want to change the time!".

   - William