List:       kde-usability
Subject:    for when apps fail to start
From:       "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2003-12-31 10:56:49

This message is in MIME format.

hello everyone,

Dun you hate when you start an application from the K menu or the desktop, but
the window simply doesn't open?  Sometimes apps fail to start, and that is a
fact of life + =(

The startup notification sure helps in letting you know that you actually
attempted to open the app, and is a welcome step forward.  But sometimes I
need to open the app in a konsole window to actually see what happened, in the
konsole window, by peeking at the stderr output.  Wouldn't it be great to have
it show discreetly when the app fails to start or bombs out?  Even better,
wouldnt it be great to peek to the stderr output of the app so diagnosing what
went wrong is much faster?

Attached to this email you'll find a very crappy depiction of an idea of what
could be done.  How far are we from getting something like this?  Could this
be done with a minimum of fuss?  Perhaps a stderr or stdout dump can be
incorporated to crash handler reports.  Sort of "The last words of this app
were:" stuff.

Technically it could be done with all this startup notification things on
the .desktop files, at least for them, although I'd love to see it work on
programs started directly from minicli / krun.  All that needs to be done is
to tee the stderr output of the app, and when the "failed to start" condition
is detected, present it in the form of a kpassivepopup or some sort of balloon
pointing to the notification button on the taskbar, or perhaps a small icon on
the tray.

    suerte,

    Rudd-O

     UNIVERSIDAD TECNICA FEDERICO SANTA MARIA
                 CAMPUS GUAYAQUIL
        CENTRO DE SERVICIOS INFORMATICOS
Mail enviado a traves de IMP-USM: http://www.usm.edu.ec/imp
    Los invitamos a visitar  http://www.usm.edu.ec