List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE screen resolution policy
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-12-27 22:45:05

Michael Pye wrote:
> On Friday 26 December 2003 22:40, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>

>>I run my 15" monitor at 1024x768 and 100 DPI.
>

> This being > 800x600, I'm not sure how it's relevant.

Somebody said that a 15" monitor was run at 800x600.  I guessed that they meant that you
needed to do that so that the type wasn't too small.  So, I stated that I ran my 15"
monitor at 1024x768 *AND* 100 DPI which gives approximately the same font size as if I ran
it at 800x600 and 75 DPI.

>>Question.  Why use the lower resolution if you are impaired?  Is it to make
>>the widget larger, or to make the type larger?
>

> To make *everything* bigger...

You don't have to do that to make the type larger.  You can tell X to make the type larger
by setting the DPI.  Perhaps this (the DPI) should be set in the Control Center --
although this would probably only work if/when you stared KDE with KDM.

This problem would be solved if Qt responded the same way to the X DPI setting.

--
JRT