List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style
From:       Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe () softhome ! net>
Date:       2003-12-27 20:19:38

Waldo Bastian (Saturday 27 December 2003 11:42)
> +<p>A window, be it a dialog, main window or any other type, must
> +display conveniently in a size corresponding to 640x480 pixels. Further,
> +when used in combination with the KDE enviroment the window must be
> +usable and practical when the display runs in 800x600 resolution.

Further != furthermore.  But I think that this is not adequate.  If something
fits in a 640x480 area, then how could it possibly be unusable or unpractical
in an 800x600 (minus panels, window decorations) area?  This is confusing
because it lists two common resolutions and you're not sure which your window
must fit in.  This is further compounded by variable window decoration and
panel size  Instead I would recommend setting a limit on the number of pixels
that an application window is allowed to use, without regard to the
surrounding environment (and why a height limit of only 640 for a minimum
supported screen height of 800?  My panel on the bottom is only 30 pixels
high, and my window decoration consumes only 20 pixels of height, so 750
would be fine for me.  To compensate for people with a huge panel, I guess a
limit of 700 would be better, though why people would be using so huge a
panel at so low a resolution I have no idea.

Vertu sæll,

--
Sigþór Björn Jarðarson (Casey Allen Shobe)
cshobe@softhome.net / http://rivyn.livejournal.com

Free development contributor of: