List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE screen resolution policy
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2003-12-26 10:57:30

On Friday 26 December 2003 08:09, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> I think the best solution already exists.  X11 features two resolution
> settings, one for your screen resolution, and one for your desktop
> resolution.  So if you're stuck on a low-resolution screen, there is
> nothing preventing you from running a desktop as large as you want.  Got
> a laptop with an 800x300 screen?  No problem.  You can still run a
> 1024x768 desktop.

Yeah sure, why don't we let those who have to use a low resolution for some
reason have to scroll the desktop to view various dialogs, because we don't
want small dialogs...

> Otherwise, the KDE dialogs need to be smart and automatically split
> things logically into tabs or merge the tabs into fewer tabs or no tabs
> based upon the window size.  I'd like to see that worked on towards KDE
> 4, because it would improve usability on my large display as well as
> smaller displays.

Funny, i have a reasonably large display, and i find some of the dialogs are
still annoyingly big. Just because my monitor is large doesn't mean that i
want windows to fill it.

And i can in no way see how this would improve usability, on the contrary,
you want to introduce dialogs that are changed in major ways, depending on
the screen resolution you happen to use. How will anyone ever get familiar
with such an interface? IMO this would be a huge step backwards. (I don't
happen to find huge dialogs crammed with controls very user friendly in the
first place)

The only real problem is see right now with large monitors is that widgets
and icons doesn't scale well. I think that if the trend of monitors getting
higher resolutions keeps going on, then all graphics will have to be stored
as SVG so it can be adjusted to fit. I would like to run a much higher
resolution than i currently do, but i find that everything but the text
gets too small. (or the icons too big if i scale them, why oh why can we
still not use the crystal svg icons and scale them freely :( )

Mvh
Troels