List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE screen resolution policy
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-12-26 22:40:59

Frans Englich wrote:

> I pondered a little bit regarding 640x480 too. As you point out, setting the
> bar at 640 will be *very* hard to reach. The reasons may be good, but if is
> not reached the policy will loose it influence and 800x600 is atleast better
> than nothing. It is perhaps even impossible considering widgets minimum sizes
> and the inevitable layouts of some programs.
> Practical details aside, there can be two motivations to aiming for 640:
> 1) KDE's userbase is in general need of 640x480.
> 2) Impaired users(the correct way to put it?) need it.
>
> I turn down the first  motivation because it's not true: 14" and 15" monitors
> can run in 800x600. Thus if kde apps manages that it will be fine on all
> monitors.

I run my 15" monitor at 1024x768 and 100 DPI.

> Motivation 2) is true, apparently(and unfortunately). There is the practical
> problem of implementing it(it would be great if someone outlined more
> exactly /how/ impossible it is) which seemes to be the show stopper. AFAICT,
> when it comes to screen resolution impaired people are left out in the cold,
> and will have to look for other methods.

This is simple.  You can do it with X.  Just set the virtual screen at 1024x768 and the
real screen at 640x48 then you have a window that you can pan to view the larger virtual
screen.

Question.  Why use the lower resolution if you are impaired?  Is it to make the widget
larger, or to make the type larger?

--
JRT