List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMenu, gnome/kde app clashes
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2003-12-25 14:49:06

On Thursday 25 December 2003 15:25, William Leese wrote:
> Frans Englich wrote:
> > There _are_ cases where having both the KDE and GNOME version around is
> > just exsessive, there is no reason. If you choose gedit in front of kedit
> > you really do it because you like GNOME/GTK feel not because of the app,
> > and then you should be running GNOME(and probably is - problem naturally
> > gone). There's a bunch of these highly identical apps, ie. System Monitor
> > vs ksysguard.
>
> This is the kind of discussion I'm afraid of. kedit vs gedit, Epiphany
> vs Konqueror, etc. There is a boundary between simply apps that both
> desktops have an equivalent of and featureful apps such as a word
> processor, but it is hard to define. It could lead to lengthly
> discussions per case.
>
> I understand your points and think you're right about having a dialog
> regarding this is a good thing. However I think this should only concern
> (or atleast begin with) very small applications such as kfind,
> kjobviewer, etc.

Agree. There really don't exist any problem. In those cases we can't agree we
let it be. Simple. And no one will consider suggesting such hefty
applications(or/and flamebait topics) such as konqueror or kword because as
you say they are too difficult and they actually differ from their
equivalents(it makes no sense excluding them from their opposite enviroment).
As you suggest, we start small and simple and further see how far we get, if
it as little as one app it is worth it. IMHO.

			Frans