List:       kde-usability
Subject:    KDE screen resolution policy
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2003-12-25 14:55:49

Hi everyone,

I run KDE HEAD on a 15" monitor in 800x600 and some KDE applications are
simply not usable in the sense that dialogs expand outside the screen and can
not be resized to fit inside the screen. Another situation is the KMenu which
when is too big expands into two rows, making it practically cumbersome to
use(it would be better to drop the "Most Used Applications" count, IMHO). A
two row KMenu takes up about 80% of the sceen space.

AFAICT, the KIG says nothing about in what resolutions an conforming
application should be usable in, nor in what resolution/screen size
relationships the content should be easily interpreted/readable. For example,
on my screen the date in clock applet is very small and hard to read.

Should we add to the KIG(or some other KDE policy paper) what resolutions and
screen sizes an conforming application must be usable in? Note, it is
ofcourse ok if an app is more convenient to use at higher resolutions but it
must be possible to use it at the defined minimum level(ok/apply buttons not
outside the screen for example). Further, it must ofcourse be as usable as
possible at that minimum level.

I propose setting the resolution treshold at 800x600 because we can assume a
lot of users run it. It is easily to say "no one runs that small screens
anymore" but consider for one second where open source solutions is currently
deployed - developing countries. And when setting up servers you sometimes
use old monitors. Theoretically it doesn't harm to have a low threshold,
except it can be hard to practically conform to the policy. A positive side
effect of 800x600 is that it will be easy to conform to the policy.
I don't know if exceptions to the policy should be allowed, there is perhaps
cases where it is impossible to design GUI's for 800x600.. Otoh, the KIG is
just guidelines..
I volunteer to writing the texts and in those cases where I can follow it up,
such as filling bug reports and fixing the layouts.

What do people think? Is it a good idea? Do we need such a policy/guideline?
Pros/Cons?

Cheers!

			Frans