List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMenu, gnome/kde app clashes
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2003-12-25 12:50:03

On Wednesday 24 December 2003 23:42, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> Yes, it would be possible to move gnome applications to the "More" menu by
> default.

Yeah, the spec mentions nothing on it(forbids, encourages etc). It's up the
implementation.. Right? :)

>I would only do that for "desktop-related" items though.

Goodbye intergration! Goodbye fd-menu-spec!(FMS) Just having such an
possibility(god forbid default!) would lock out _all_ GNOME apps, also those
who is wanted. As an feature it will not help intergration - "It is rather
clear the KDE project wants _no_ GNOME apps, they lock out all apps which are
gnome based". I already look forward to the slashdot post! :)
With the FMS comes a usability problem which hurts both projects(GNOME mostly
AFAICT): a flooded menu and duplicated functionality(made visible :)). By
excluding all KDE apps or all GNOME apps does, you can say, "solve the
usability problem" but kills the menu-spec effort and looks _really_ bad from
a PR perspective. I would kill integration efforts technically and
collaborative.

> Hiding them completely with "OnlyShowIn" might indeed be a bit too much as
> someone else already pointed out.

See my reply to William, it contains some ideas to why it not is "too much".

It further doesn't solve the usability problem. A program is not "accessible"
in a sub-sub-level menu with 10 half-maintained apps without icons. Moving it
to "More" is just an excuse to avoid a nonexistent conflict(see my reply to
William). But it doesn't really matter, since no one suffers: 1) No one will
miss the abscent program because there's already a DE native equivalent(note,
we don't remove things that differs) and 2) For example, if the user is
looking for an terminal app and goes Menu->System(in KDE :) it will find
konsole and be fine - not continue into "More"

IMHO! :)

			Frans