List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMenu, gnome/kde app clashes
From:       William Leese <william () leese ! nl>
Date:       2003-12-24 19:42:16

Frans Englich wrote:
> On my Slackware 9.0 system my (KDE-HEAD) KMenu have a small problem - all over
> it is spread with 100% _irrelevant_ gnome apps. Do not misunderstand me, I
> don't mind GNOME, quite the opposite, and want them to live peacefully
> together, but "gnome control center" is not very useful in KDE and it would
> be most appropriate if they had a NotShowIn=KDE. Or what do do you think?
> There's alot of those obvious gnome system-specific. But when it comes to apps
> with _very_ similar functionality like Terminal/konsole Text Editor/Kedit it
> becomes hard and political tense to judge. Should we do a NotShowIn=GNOME on
> konsole and a NotShowIn=KDE on Terminal, etc?
>
> I really have no clue in this matter, but, I think it is clear that the
> current situation/KMenu is usability wise could be better.
>
> Should I make a pile of oneliners and this time not only bother kde developers
> but also gnomers? :) What do the wise people say in this matter? :)

Urgh!!!

This would mean WAR y'know ;)

But seriously.. sometimes someone just prefers the gnome variant over
the kde variant despite using KDE.

I can't say much about what should not be shown and what should: but
definately don't hide GNOME applications. As for gnome-control-center,
it should be shown too, unless you want to force the user to startup
gnome just to change their settings (think themes and fonts).

   - William