List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Use settings:/ in Konqeuror instead of KControl in 3.2?
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2003-12-23 1:59:04

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 01:22, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> This is a problem, but I would prefer to keep the existing icons.  What I
> would propose is the addition of suffixing each directory name with `/',
> each FIFO name with `|', and each name of an executable with `*',
> identical to the -F option to ls (and similarly, a checkbox to turn this
> off could be added to the Konqueror settings.

Yes, because we all know that regular users would understand these symbols
</sarcasm>

In the normal file views, folders looks like, well, folders. And everything
else looks different.

I don't really think the solution is to use konqueror as the new control
center, but to tweak the control center to offer an icon view to display
the groups, and then tweak the modules to not have sub modules. This way
you have ONE screen of groups, and under each one of those you have
individual control centers.

I generally think, that in many situations it is not in the users interest
to solve a problem by simply opening an ioslave in konqueror, when a simple
wrapper program would do. I think konqueror provices a lot of power to web
surfing and file management, and i would like to see it stick to those.

Not that i want to prevent people from using the settings:/ url from
konqueror if they want to, i just think that a settings ioslave is only
half completed if it is only available by use in konqueror.

Other benefits would be that there still would be only one program the user
would need to goto, and the modules would not need to be changed to handle
the admin modes differently.

Mvh
Troels