List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker bar maiming
From:       Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro () 6mil ! pt>
Date:       2003-12-22 14:48:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

(sent as reply to author by mistake, re-sending to list)

Era Sexta, 19 de Dezembro de 2003 07:39, e o Frans Englich escreveu:
> The attached patch removes three buttons on the kicker bar, the konsole
> button, the help center and the kcontrol shortcut, respectively. Here goes
> my rant:
>
> * konsole
> In KDE's targeting audience the CLI is never used, unheard of and
> *definately* not used on a dialy basis as much as konqueror or kmail.
> Considering it is an unknown "feature" the look of an monitor(not to
> mention the old icon!) is associated to other things ala the typical
> situation of users from different social/cultural contexts). Ie, when my
> girlfriend first logged in in KDE she wanted to change "that ugly
> background" and went for the konsole icon - afterall it has to do with my
> screen. I can't definately not blame her for that reasoning - it is
> perfectly logical(but I can indeed blame her for claiming the background is
> ugly, especially considering what she chose..). It confuses the average
> user and wastes screenspace.

I use Konsole heavily, as most of the work I do is about system management and
configuration. However, I always *remove* the Konsole icon from kicker,
because:

a) I always have a Konsole running on my default desktop, so even after login
I have it opened. Whenever I need a new shell or ssh I just open a new tab on
the already running Konsole. If for some reason I need to open another
konsole window I just detach the tab in question (love that feature).

b) It just uses space on the kicker and I rater use this space on another
applet with less screen clutter.

c) If for some reason I close Konsole, I can re-open it easily with Shift-F2
type in "konsole -ls" and hit Enter.

And while we're at it, wouldn't it make more sense if konsole was launched by
"default" with "-ls"?

> * Preferences button
> I know - it is just awesome KDE got kcontrol center with hundreds and
> hundreds of config options - and I also just want it to grow - let's double
> the amount! But, aside from our kinky dreams, I don't think the average
> user want to reconfigure all the time, just as often as checking his/her
> mail or browsing the internet. And when the user wants its daily fix of
> configuring it is actually just one click away in the KMenu. It wasts
> space.

I *often* use the Preferences button as shortcut to kcontrol. If it was to be
removed, I'd add it for my desktop.

> * Help Center

I always *remove* the Help buton from kicker on my desktop. It's useless to
me, and I realy think khelpcenter needs to be improved a *lot* to be realy
useful.

IMHO

--
Rui Malheiro