List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker bar maiming
From:       William Leese <william () leese ! nl>
Date:       2003-12-21 10:53:11

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

>>Correct me if I'm wrong but AFAICT your reasoning goes like this:
>>"The right place for preferences is in a 'start menu' and not in the
>>kicker. Afterall, configuring is done very seldom and KMail and Konqueror
>>is used very frequently. But, our KMenu is pretty useless so we /have/ to
>>put it  in Kicker."
>>I'm not saying this is no reality we can ignore I just want to follow your
>>arguing.
>

> that's a good charicature of it, yes. the KMenu is not "pretty useless", it's
> "overly used" which is to say it is too noisy for people to find certain
> things. the control panel would be one of those things.
>
> a different path would be to promote KControl to be a top-level item in the
> KMenu along with Find Files, Help and Home

Wasn't the Preferences menu removed awhile ago (for 3.1) from the
top-level of kmenu?

This is a bit like the situation of having a konsole button on the
panel: theoretically it shouldn't be used alot, but the current userbase
makes heavy use of it.

Perhaps KDE should cater to it's current and near future userbase and
leave tuning for the distro's. They can more easily judge if their
userbase will lean more towards the console than the gui, or if they're
mainly Windows or Mac converts, etc.

As a sidenote: shouldn't there be someone responsible for the base
defaults in kde? Problem is (atleast I see it as a problem) at the
moment that there isn't always a consistent vision on who KDE caters to
and how it's done (which links are there by default, 'Name
(Description)' vs 'Description (Name)', doubleclick means shading vs
maximizing/minimizing, etc). In other words sometimes the defaults are
good for unix powerusers, sometimes for windows converts, sometimes for
complete newbies. On the otherhand no one can complain they're being
ignored :)

   - William