List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker bar maiming
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-12-21 10:27:31

On Sunday 21 December 2003 12:18, Frans Englich wrote:
> > our current user base tends to be pretty heavy users of konsole. for
> > normal average desktop users, you're right that it doesn't matter. i'm
> > concerned
>
> So when will we start tailoring KDE to regular/average users? With this
> decision we actually does not target a regular user, but the power/advanced
> users. Aren't we facing a chicken-and-egg problem?

i obviously wasn't clear enough: as long as the konsole icon is easily
accessabile in the kmenu (<2 levels deep in it) then i'm fine with this
change. you are right that it is in KMenu/System now... i just had some
old .desktop files laying around...

> > that's not so hot; this _is_ UNIX after all and
> > the CLI is pretty important.
>
> Is the CLI also important for the regular user?

for a subset of that group, yes.

> Or does that statement only apply for KDE's current userbase?

no.

> > > * Preferences button
> >
> > the problem here is even worse than with konsole: most people need access
> > to it and it is nicely hidden in the Settings directory. =/ i'd like to
> > keep this one for now...
>
> Kicker is our cure for an outgrown KMenu. How cute.

this isn't going to get fixed for 3.2, so our options are limited by the
reality of what we have.

> Correct me if I'm wrong but AFAICT your reasoning goes like this:
> "The right place for preferences is in a 'start menu' and not in the
> kicker. Afterall, configuring is done very seldom and KMail and Konqueror
> is used very frequently. But, our KMenu is pretty useless so we /have/ to
> put it  in Kicker."
> I'm not saying this is no reality we can ignore I just want to follow your
> arguing.

that's a good charicature of it, yes. the KMenu is not "pretty useless", it's
"overly used" which is to say it is too noisy for people to find certain
things. the control panel would be one of those things.

a different path would be to promote KControl to be a top-level item in the
KMenu along with Find Files, Help and Home

- --
Aaron J. Seigo
while (!horse()); cart();