List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The up button in web browsing mode (was clearer separation of
From:       "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2003-12-17 22:52:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Thanks for the study, carlos!

What would happen if the functionality of the Up button was to "Go to
the upper page specified as LINK REL='up' tag"?

To test this, I hear konqueror has a "navigation toolbar" whose specific
purpose is to have an "Up" button which does this.  Can't find it
though, so I'll simulate it by looking for the LINK "up" manually.

Naturally, when there is no LINK REL UP tag, the up button should go up
in the directory hierarchy, just as it does now.  Let's see (results
below)

(one final note: on web sites which have breadcrumb trail navigation
aids, the logical action for the up button would be to go up the
breadcrumb trail, and this should be explicitly defined in the web page
source with the LINK REL UP.  Has nothing to do with the subject though,
but... )

> > The result:
> >
> > Site: Yahoo Shopping
> > Works: No
> > http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/search/__yltc=s:92253310,d:14489115,sec:search,slk:button?p=.com&did=51

LINK REL UP does not work either.

> > Site: Amazon
> > Works: No
> > http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=sc_fe_c_1_0/103-2514953-1839064?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=1046284&no=1036592&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

No meta tags.  Does not work.  On this particular case, it should be
returning to the "Women's accessories" page, as specified by the
breadcrumb trail.

> > Site: InSyle magazine (found from aol)
> > Works: No
> > http://cgi.timeinc.net/cgi-bin/instyle/cg/clogin?zone=IN&cookie=&stat=CHA&url=http%3a//www.instyle.com/instyle/read/transformations/0,12403,557876,00.html

No link tag.  Fails.

> > Site: Newsforge
> > Work: No
> > http://www.newsforge.com/software/03/12/16/0029234.shtml?tid=130&tid=150&tid=2&tid=82&tid=94

Link rel up points to home page (semantically correct).  Works.

> > Site Universo on Line: (Brazilian newspapers/magazines site)
> > Works: yes, for the Folha de São Paulo newspaper content! No for other
> > magazines tested.
> > http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/manchetes/ is the working one Yay!

No link rel up.  Works, though, because since there is no link rel tag,
it should go up the hierarchy.

> > Now using google as a tool:
> >
> > Searched word: car
> > Site: Car and Driver
> > Works: No. You will always go back to the main page, it does not matter
> > how deep you are.
> > http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=33&article_id=7575

link rel top not found. Doesn't even send <HTML> tag at the beginning.
Disgraceful coding there.  Does not work

> > Searched word: house
> > Site: White House ;)
> > Works? Yes.
> > http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/07/20030730-4.html

Link rel up not found.  But since fallback behavior would be going up
the dir hierarchy, it would still work.

> > Searched word: fruit
> > Site: Fruit of the Loom
> > Works? Almost, but no. It has the right structure. I imagined it would
> > work. But it did not. A page that looked right bat was a dead end was
> > offered.
> > http://www.fruit.com/static/brands/mensboys.cfm

Link rel up not found. No work.

> > Thats it.
> >
> > Count time: 6 No, 1 Yes and No and 1 No.
> > Total 7 to 2.

Using link rel up, with directory structure climb as fallback, I'm
counting 7 to 3.

I'll leave the task of counting LINK REL UP usability on HOWTO's to
someone else.  My head hurts.

--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
	GPG key ID: keyserver.net C1033CAD