List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Mouse Wheel font scaling
From:       Jorge Adriano Aires <jadrian () mat ! uc ! pt>
Date:       2003-12-12 17:38:17

> This makes little sense.  You use the mouse to act on the screen image not
> to move your body.

I don't agree that's so linear but ok, lets be precise then
- yes you act on the browser contents
- the action is "increase fonts"
- you got a (+) for increasing fonts

Where should the wheel move?

> OTOH, if you had buttons on your mouse rather than the wheel: you would
> press the far button to scroll up and the near button to scroll down.  So,
> if you were using actual buttons, you would press the far button to "zoom
> in" and the near button to "zoom out", if you use a zoom lens model (but
> perhaps that isn't the best model since it is based on the actual
> construction of a zoom lens).
>
> > There are other ways to think about it though which do sugest the current
> > behavior. For instance you have a (+) sign for zoom in, not a minus, and
> > the natural association to (+) is up, not down (incerase). In fact in
> > konquerors acse that is even the most adequate way to sing about it since
> > it is not really zoom... just increasing fonts.
>
> I have always found 'zoom in' & 'zoom out' to be a little bit confusing.
> However, (+) magnification and (-) magnification make perfect sense.  So, I
> wouldn't try to relate (+) & (-) to the mouse wheel.

So in kghostview, for instance, you have plenty of ways to do zoom in, one of
them beeing pressing the (+) button, the moushweel will do exactly the same
as all of those above (that is, "zoom in"), but we should abstain from
relating it to "zoom in"?

> I think that the only valid point here is that this should be configurable.
I'd prefeer someone to flip a coin to chose the behaviour than having this
kind of feature configurable.

J.A.