List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Replacing Toolbar Icons in KOffice
From:       Henrique Pinto <stampede () uai ! com ! br>
Date:       2003-12-03 22:22:56

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 08:02, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> My point is that it shouldn't be by default.  The application should use
> CrystalSVG icons only if the user has chosen that icon theme

CrystalSVG is the default icon theme. For consistency, it should be used as
fallback.

KDEClassic is now a separate theme.

> Clearly, if an icon in the user's selected theme is not available, it
> should first fall back to 'hicolor', and then the 'default.kde'.

Why?

Hicolor is not the default style, it is provided just for convenience in
kdeartwork. Hicolor icons usually don't integrate well with crystal icons.
All KDE application should provide CrystalSVG icons - it is the default,
and they should integrate well with the default settings of KDE.

It might be a good idea to require applications to provide hicolor icons
for acessibility issues. For application shipped with KDE, these icons
should go to kdeartwork, as it is not a good idea to force users to
install icons of a non-default theme.

> NOTE: in many cases 'hicolor' will be empty, but if there is an icon
> there it 'hicolor' must be the send choice for an icon theme after the
> user selected theme.

I believe it should be configurable. Well, it is, I believe, at least it
was in KDE 3.1, I haven't had the need to use that with KDE 3.2. But is
not something the "joe user" can do easily.

Most users don't have hicolor installed, as kdeartwork seems not to be a
very popular package (at least it is so here where I live). And the
fallback theme should not be hardcoded to hicolor.

> >>The point is that the CrystalSVG icons should not replace the current
> >> KDEClasic icons.

Current? KDE Classic is not the default style anymore. KDE applications
should ship CrystalSVG icons.

As I pointed out above, it might be a good idea, for acessibility purposes,
to have a complete hicolor theme available in KDE, but it is much more
important to have a complete default theme.

> I know nothing about the icons for specific applications being moved to
> KDEArtwork.

KDEArtwork contains complete icon themes.

Do you believe all apps should ship icons in CrystalSVG, Reinhardt,
Korilla, Slick...

For non-default themes, it is better to have the icons included in the
icontheme, rather than in apps.

> > 3) crystalsvg is the default icon theme in KDE-3.2.
>
> I want to make this quite clear that I am not in any way objecting to
> the existence of the CrystalSVG icon theme.  What I am objecting to is
> being forced to use them.

Possibilities:

	1) Use a complete icon set, you won't see any icon that is not part of
that theme;

	2) Use Gnome, Windows, MacOS, BeOS, Xfce. They don't ship CrystalSVG as
default icon theme.

- --
	Henrique Pinto
	stampede@uai.com.br