List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: 3.2 Beta bugs and comments.
From:       Benoit Walter <b.walter () free ! fr>
Date:       2003-11-26 11:17:57

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 06:21, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> They are NOT there when they are not needed.  Most of the time there would
> only be 4 tabs and this widget is large enough for 4 tabs without
> horizontal scrolling.
The problem is not only the number of tabs in the property dialog. This dialog
is there to change the properties of 1 file (or of the selected files). If
you add a tab which modifies the file type, it is not coherent because the
action does not apply only to the selected file(s) but too all files of the
same type. That's why it makes sense to have "edit file type" in a separate
dialog.

> A homogeneous interface is best and that would be more of the same --
> additional tabs rather than a small magic button with an incorrectly worded
> tool tip.
Again it is not the right place, "file properties" is for the properties of
selected files, not of a mime type.

> NOTE; I used this feature often, that is why I missed it immediately.
I found it useful to have it in the context menu, but it was necessary to
remove some actions. Perhaps another location (in konqueror menu?) would help
to call this dialog faster, but the menu is large enough, too :-(

Benoit.