List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: 3.2 Beta bugs and comments.
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-11-26 12:13:37

Benoit Walter wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 November 2003 06:21, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>They are NOT there when they are not needed.  Most of the time there would
>>only be 4 tabs and this widget is large enough for 4 tabs without
>>horizontal scrolling.
>
> The problem is not only the number of tabs in the property dialog. This dialog
> is there to change the properties of 1 file (or of the selected files). If
> you add a tab which modifies the file type, it is not coherent because the
> action does not apply only to the selected file(s) but too all files of the
> same type. That's why it makes sense to have "edit file type" in a separate
> dialog.

You make a good case for leaving it as was in 3.1.4 -- that is not putting it in
Properties at all.  But, you don't make a logical case for having to go through the
Properties dialog to get there or for the small button which isn't labeled: "File
Associations"

>>A homogeneous interface is best and that would be more of the same --
>>additional tabs rather than a small magic button with an incorrectly worded
>>tool tip.
>
> Again it is not the right place, "file properties" is for the properties of
> selected files, not of a mime type.

Well, the context menu entry could be changed to: "Properties & Associations" which would
in a way be more accurate since (currently) if you right click a: "*.desktop" file and
select "Properties" you can change the file association and/or MIME type information.

>>NOTE; I used this feature often, that is why I missed it immediately.
>
> I found it useful to have it in the context menu, but it was necessary to
> remove some actions. Perhaps another location (in konqueror menu?) would help
> to call this dialog faster, but the menu is large enough, too :-(

Really, I liked it where it was in 3.1.4 and I don't see the 3.2 design as an improvement.

--
JRT