List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: 3.2 Beta bugs and comments.
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-11-26 5:21:19

Aaron Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 November 2003 15:36, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Aaron Seigo wrote:

>>>2 tabs are better than 4;
>>
>>The number of tabs in the widget needs to vary as needed.
>

> there is a limit.
>

>>>this isn't an oft used item and there are other paths to it (i can think
>>>of 3 off the top of my head, actually =)
>>
>>Please list them since I only know of one destination: "File Associations".
>

> yes, and it's available in konqi's settings, kcontrol and the preferences menu
> on the panel. that's 3 different ways.
>

>>>... most users go into KControl or Konqueror's settings. so making this
>>>dialog a 4 tabbed monster isn't necessary.
>>
>>The problem there, as I stated, is that you MUST know the MIME type to use
>>this.  This is a bigger issue for newbies, but there are some things that I
>>don't know the MIME type for. So, I would think that newbies are much more
>>likely to use the RMB context menu to set this.
>

> newbies rarely use RMB menus, and my experience with helping users on IRC,
> mailing lists and in real life is that they usually go straight for the
> control center. of course, i could just be cursed and be meeting up the same
> sort of people over and over ;-)
>

>>>note that in some places (eg kicker) and for some files (eg files with
>>>KFileMetaInfo plugins) the properties dialog already has 3 or 4 tabs, so
>>>it would create a 5 or 6 tab ubermonster there.
>>
>>But the additional tabs should only be there when needed.
>
> and when they are, they are. how does that change anything?

They are NOT there when they are not needed.  Most of the time there would only be 4 tabs
and this widget is large enough for 4 tabs without horizontal scrolling.

>>>also, the file properties dialog is its own dialog that is easily called
>>>as a separate widget without having to combine the logic of its tabs with
>>>the properties dialog.
>>
>>As I said IIRC: "Properties" is where you go in Windows (at least you did
>>in 3.10).  I don't have it installed currently but will check on that after
>>I get it running on WABI again.
>

> in Win2K it's accessed via a button next to the "Type of file" and "Opens
> with" entries in the properties dialog, just like we have.

It has changed since 3.10 where it is: "File => Associate" -- equally accessible on the
menu with other options.

But that is probably irrelevant unless you are using Windows to justify a heterogeneous
user interface.

A homogeneous interface is best and that would be more of the same -- additional tabs
rather than a small magic button with an incorrectly worded tool tip.

And, please note that you have not addressed my main point that newbies probably will have
problems using the: "File Associations" module because you have to know the MIME type to
use it -- it doesn't matter if there are three ways to get there, you still need to know
the MIME type when you do.

> for me, EOT.

I find you claims to be presumptuous -- not based on a rational evaluation of the user
interface.  I see no factual basis for your presumptions.  So, if you are just going to
come up with presumptions to justify the decision, you are probably correct that it is EOT
for you, but that is what you thought to start with.  Some suggestions are good and some
are not, but you will never know the difference if your only response to them is to state
why they are wrong (based on the presumption that they are wrong).

NOTE; I used this feature often, that is why I missed it immediately.

--
JRT