List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Email checking in KMail
From:       Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe () softhome ! net>
Date:       2003-10-21 18:48:51

On October 21 2003 13:25, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> A note about my own setting: Emails are checked every 10 minutes and no
> popup, sound or similar.

I have difficulty seeing the need for periodical mail notifications at certain
times.  More, I see this as a need to use kalarm or korganizer to give you
notifications to read your mail at periodic times if you can't remember
yourself ;-).

I have my kmail configured to fetch mail once per minute, with no
notifications other than the systray counter.  I surely don't read my email
every minute, but only several times per day.

If I were in a situation where I needed to check my mail at periodic
intervals, I would use kalarm to tell me when to read my email at the
appropriate times.

Is there any reason that mail retrieval needs to be set to this schedule?
Indeed it may be detrimental, as my mail server may be down at the time I
need to read my E-mail.  With the kalarm solution, this isn't so much of a
problem.

As Friedrich said, "Put the scheduling in the alerter, not in the checker!".

--
Casey Allen Shobe
cshobe@softhome.net