List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Email checking in KMail
From:       "Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2003-10-20 11:10:31

Am Montag, 20. Oktober 2003 12:28 schrieb Christoph Niemann:
> Hello,
>
> my colleague was thinking about the email checking function of KMail. Right
> now, you can set an time interval to check emails. What do you think about
> a function to set specific times (i.e. check at 9:00, 12:00, 13:00 and
> 19:00) to check for emails? The reason for that is the high interruption
> time caused by frequent email alerts.

I haven't read the article, sorry, but based on my own usage pattern I would
like to have a more elaborated email alert system.

First of all there should be some alert levels*, like
a) no alert,
b) only alert on emails marked very important**
c) only alert on emails marked at least important**
d) alert on all

*Yes, of course number of levels and conditions should be configurable ;)
** important as defined by some filter rules, perhaps, or whatever
   One might want to add a temporary rule on the fly when waiting
   for someone's specific email

The applet then would offer me to adjust the level to my actual work, like:
a) when having a visitor
b) when doing complicated work
c) when doing plain work
d) waiting for knocking off time (uni18n("Feierabend"))

Don't forget there are certain types of emails. Some are just plain
information to be read on occasion, some are to be read at once ("Please call
me back immediately!" or "Meeting canceled, stay in your office."), some
contain attachments needed some time or been painfully awaited.

So:
Put the scheduling in the alerter, not in the checker!

Friedrich