List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Email checking in KMail
From:       Larry Staberg <larry.staberg () boeing ! com>
Date:       2003-10-20 15:07:00

Hmmm, my answer is to leave my e-mail app open all the time... with no
notice.. When new mail shows up I glance at the subject, processing the
information as to whether or not to proceed to look at the e-mail..
You may not want to reserve desktop space for this...

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 04:10, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Montag, 20. Oktober 2003 12:28 schrieb Christoph Niemann:
> > Hello,
> >
> > my colleague was thinking about the email checking function of KMail. Right
> > now, you can set an time interval to check emails. What do you think about
> > a function to set specific times (i.e. check at 9:00, 12:00, 13:00 and
> > 19:00) to check for emails? The reason for that is the high interruption
> > time caused by frequent email alerts.
>
> I haven't read the article, sorry, but based on my own usage pattern I would
> like to have a more elaborated email alert system.
>
> First of all there should be some alert levels*, like
> a) no alert,
> b) only alert on emails marked very important**
> c) only alert on emails marked at least important**
> d) alert on all
>
> *Yes, of course number of levels and conditions should be configurable ;)
> ** important as defined by some filter rules, perhaps, or whatever
>    One might want to add a temporary rule on the fly when waiting
>    for someone's specific email
>
> The applet then would offer me to adjust the level to my actual work, like:
> a) when having a visitor
> b) when doing complicated work
> c) when doing plain work
> d) waiting for knocking off time (uni18n("Feierabend"))
>
> Don't forget there are certain types of emails. Some are just plain
> information to be read on occasion, some are to be read at once ("Please call
> me back immediately!" or "Meeting canceled, stay in your office."), some
> contain attachments needed some time or been painfully awaited.
>
> So:
> Put the scheduling in the alerter, not in the checker!
>
> Friedrich
  Regards, Larry Staberg
  voice:  (206) 655-5054              usmail: Boeing Commercial Airplane
Group
  FAX:  (206) 655-0523                        P.O Box 3707
                                              Mail Stop 1W-06
  email: larry.staberg@boeing.com             Seattle, WA  98124-2207