List:       kde-usability
Subject:    consistent wording throughout KDE
From:       produktivIT <office () produktivIT ! com>
Date:       2003-10-20 10:47:15

> From: Christoph Niemann <cnieman@suse.de>
> Subject: Re: "Folder" or "Directory"?
> To: kde-usability@mail.kde.org

> > Also -- just to stress the importance of the consistent use of _one_
> > word -- The Relevantive Usability Study [1]  mentioned this paticular
> > wording problem:
[...]
> > Thus, I would be a rather great improvement to establish a consistent
> > usage of the one term.

I totally agree with the results of the Study, Christoph and Stian. I also
noticed this uncertainty when observing newbies working on KDE.

What attracted me, a long-time GNOME user, to KDE is the higher level of
overall consistency. This would also require singular terms with respect
to the UI. Folder/directory is just an example; is there a KDE guideline
for preferred UI terms? (I haven't seen any).

As far as I can see, a majority on this list advocates the term "folder" in
lieu of "directory" within the KDE GUI.

Salut

Mark
--
produktivIT   -  Open-Source Solution Provider
Siebenbrunnengasse 55/7