List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Fast Application switching
From:       Max Howell <mail.kde.org () methylblue ! com>
Date:       2003-10-19 1:35:27

On Sunday 19 October 2003 00:10, Andreas Bayer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are several applications which can use/display/edit the same
> document-type. No App has all needed features.
> Think of a function to switch between Applications without saving and
> closing the document in old prog and opening the file in the new
> Application by hand. All changes and the current position were
> transfered without saving it to current file. So the user see only
> change the menu/iconbar.

To my knowledge, this could be done already with KParts. For instance, KWrite
already lets you choose which text editing part you want to use to edit your
documents. All you need is a KPart container, (Konqueror is one), and lots of
KParts.

It could be done exactly as you describe I should think. You may see this kind
of functionality eventually, although I can't see anyone working towards it
deliberately I'm afraid, not unless you fancy helping turning everything into
a KPart. This is kind of happening already AFAICT, but I'm not sure if it's
technically possible for everything to be a KPart.

Still, nice ideas, although possibly too general for this list. Also as a
disclaimer I have no experience with making KParts so I could be wrong about
things, but I thought you'd appreciate the response.

Max
--
http://www.methylblue.com/filelight/ - Filelight for KDE