List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kmenu and its application repository
From:       Tom Chance <tomchance () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-08-29 21:22:38

> This is indeed an interesting question. I'm playing with the idea to let
> the current K-menu be the "system menu" and then offer the option to use a
> separate "custom menu" as start menu.
>
> In the menu-editor you would then be able to compose your custom menu by
> selecting entries from the system menu.

That would certainly fulfill my needs. It poses another interesting question
though: which would show on kicker by default?

Let's say I have the custom menu on kicker, and not the system menu. I want to
add a new item, so I go into "menu > multimedia > add to menu" (such an item
at the bottom of each menu seems sensible, and more obvious than
right-clicking on the menu icon on kicker). I then get presented with the
system menu, with the ability to choose the item I want to add, and/or edit
the system menu while I'm there.

With this set-up, it makes sense to show the custom menu on kicker, with the
system menu as an optional button. The default custom menu will then include
all of the usual entries we get in kmenu, only better organised (as is
happening in cvs) so the user starts with the full menu, and can then
streamline it as he/she wishes.

Tom