List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Keyboard focus woes
From:       Stian =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8iland?= <stian () soiland ! no>
Date:       2003-08-27 20:50:31

On 2003-08-27 22:21:48, Stian Søiland wrote:

> I suggest replacing the whole KDE/CDE-thingie with:
>
>   [ ] Popup window names on window switch

In addition (I'm making a whole thread by myself now!) when in
"KDE"-mode, ie. "Popup window names", why not still highlighting the
frame of the active window? As long as windows don't raise this should
be OK, and help users like me and the original posters with many similar
windows.

I've discover one more negative thing about the "CDE"-mode - when used
together with "Focus follows mouse" - only windows below the mouse
pointer can be switched to. I believe this is a bug - "Focus follows
mouse" is actually documented (and should be) to only change focus by
mouse if the mouse is MOVED INTO a window.

However, the mouse is "moved into" a window if alt-tab in CDE-mode
raises the window. Therefore, after the specified timeout, the window
that is NOW under the cursor gets the focus - in the middle of the users
alt-tab-switching. This fucks up everything, as multiple windows hidden
below the cursor suddenly are raised (even though the user even doesn't
want to use those windows).

This means that if the mouse is over the desktop or a single window
(that does not cover other windows), nothing bad happens,
all windows are selectable.  This should indicate that it is not a
intended feature in "CDE-mode".

Actually, it looks like the "CDE-mode" is FUBAR.. I'm switching back for
now. Suggestions #toomany:

  While walking through windows, even with popup, change the 'active
  frame' to indicate the currently selected window. Focus is not
  actually changed until the modificator is released (like now). This
  includes that the previous window remains focus if the user aborts
  (presses escape while holding Alt)

  While "Popup window names" is unchecked, keep existing behaviour, but
  don't show the popup. This includes that a single change is not
  commited until the Alt-key (or whatever) is released, and that the
  window ordering is arranged in the same way.

If "CDE-users" start complaining, add a third option:

 [X] Change window focus while switching

I guess that why this bug has never been discovered before is because
typical CDE-users think KDE look too nice, is too userfriendly and
contains too many useful programs. =)

"It doesn't even have green terminals!" (it does, actually, but I'm
unable to select
-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1 as my
font in Konsole, so I can't use it, since all fonts look bad. I guess
this is because the font selector does not know what 'semicondensed' is)

Should I post the CDE-focus-thing as a bug, and add the two checkboxes
as wishlist-items? Any other comments?

--
Stian Søiland               Work toward win-win situation. Win-lose
Trondheim, Norway           is where you win and the other lose.