On 2003-08-27 22:21:48, Stian Søiland wrote: > I suggest replacing the whole KDE/CDE-thingie with: > > [ ] Popup window names on window switch In addition (I'm making a whole thread by myself now!) when in "KDE"-mode, ie. "Popup window names", why not still highlighting the frame of the active window? As long as windows don't raise this should be OK, and help users like me and the original posters with many similar windows. I've discover one more negative thing about the "CDE"-mode - when used together with "Focus follows mouse" - only windows below the mouse pointer can be switched to. I believe this is a bug - "Focus follows mouse" is actually documented (and should be) to only change focus by mouse if the mouse is MOVED INTO a window. However, the mouse is "moved into" a window if alt-tab in CDE-mode raises the window. Therefore, after the specified timeout, the window that is NOW under the cursor gets the focus - in the middle of the users alt-tab-switching. This fucks up everything, as multiple windows hidden below the cursor suddenly are raised (even though the user even doesn't want to use those windows). This means that if the mouse is over the desktop or a single window (that does not cover other windows), nothing bad happens, all windows are selectable. This should indicate that it is not a intended feature in "CDE-mode". Actually, it looks like the "CDE-mode" is FUBAR.. I'm switching back for now. Suggestions #toomany: While walking through windows, even with popup, change the 'active frame' to indicate the currently selected window. Focus is not actually changed until the modificator is released (like now). This includes that the previous window remains focus if the user aborts (presses escape while holding Alt) While "Popup window names" is unchecked, keep existing behaviour, but don't show the popup. This includes that a single change is not commited until the Alt-key (or whatever) is released, and that the window ordering is arranged in the same way. If "CDE-users" start complaining, add a third option: [X] Change window focus while switching I guess that why this bug has never been discovered before is because typical CDE-users think KDE look too nice, is too userfriendly and contains too many useful programs. =) "It doesn't even have green terminals!" (it does, actually, but I'm unable to select -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1 as my font in Konsole, so I can't use it, since all fonts look bad. I guess this is because the font selector does not know what 'semicondensed' is) Should I post the CDE-focus-thing as a bug, and add the two checkboxes as wishlist-items? Any other comments? -- Stian Søiland Work toward win-win situation. Win-lose Trondheim, Norway is where you win and the other lose. http://www.soiland.no/ Lose-lose and lose-win are left as an exercise to the reader. [Limoncelli/Hogan] _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability