List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Keyboard focus woes
From:       Stian =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8iland?= <stian () soiland ! no>
Date:       2003-08-27 20:21:48

On 2003-08-27 18:23:00, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> go the Desktop / Window Behaviour control panel, and on the front tab there is
> a Navigation groupbox. in there is a choice between KDE and CDE for "Walk
> through windows mode". you want CDE.
>
> and so that this post is mildly on-topic here ;-) yes, that control panel is
> about as clear as mud and just as fun to use. it badly needs a rewrite. i'm
> hoping that comes with the kwin_iii branch =)

Baaaaaaah! I've been an active KDE user for over a year and didn't know
that! (along with ion.. hehe) I've searched everywhere in the control
panels to get this behaviour! =) I always thought of CDE as something
awfully old that my boss still use on his Sunray, never considered this
setting.

I suggest replacing the whole KDE/CDE-thingie with:

  [ ] Popup window names on window switch

This makes this option match the "Popup desktop names on desktop switch"
below.

The "CDE"-choice could make people (like me) into thinking that it
included focus-follows-mouse. Although I like it, not all users might
want that change, and therefore never try the "CDE"-mode.

BTW, the Desktop switch does actually not display the name when clicking
on the Desktop panel, only when using the keyboard. For window
switching, it would of course be unnecessary to show this 'popup' when
using the mouse, but not so for desktops.

Desktops, at least empty ones, might all look the same, and with those
little desktop buttons it's easy to hit the wrong one.

--
Stian Søiland               Work toward win-win situation. Win-lose
Trondheim, Norway           is where you win and the other lose.