List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMenu tooltip
From:       Stian =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8iland?= <stian () soiland ! no>
Date:       2003-08-27 20:10:12

On 2003-08-27 18:40:15, Stefano Borini wrote:

> i think taking control of the pointer is bad in every case. Creating a new
> "pointer-like" that floats around and leaving the user follow it with the real
> pointer is a better hint. The "teaching pointer" should assume a different
> shape and also pop up some sort of textual hint. Think as something like Amor
> but with a more useful target that amusing the user while it works.

Yes, the 'virtual pointer' could be grayish or something like that,
maybe with a stippled line to your real pointer (oh no, the Toys'R'US
effect again!).

The pointer could then go down to the K-menu, "click" it (show stars
around 'pointer') and then actually opening the K-menu,  but shaded. The
virtual mouse might then take a 'walk' up and down the menu, before
resting over the K-button.

If the user moves the real cursor, the K-menu should remain open, but
the shading should go away if the user approaches it, ie. it should be
"real". This could confirm to the user that the previous actions were
not some maliciuous guy taking control, but only a tutorial. The
stippled line connecting the two cursors could indicate a way to "drag"
actual pointer against the attraction.

The whole thing should be disabled once the K-menu has been used 5 times
or so. (unless in Kiosk-mode, there it could apply after 30 seconds of
in-ctivity)

I'm unsure if the K-menu should be grayed out while demonstrated, but I
*do* think that the K-menu should be opened so the users discover what
layes behind.

--
Stian Søiland               Work toward win-win situation. Win-lose
Trondheim, Norway           is where you win and the other lose.