List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMenu tooltip
From:       Stefano Borini <munehiro () ferrara ! linux ! it>
Date:       2003-08-27 16:40:15

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 04:51:30PM +0200, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> You're right here, but...this is only a small issue that can be easily fixed.
>
> In Kolor Lines CVS (kdegames) you already have an interactive tutorial. This
> tutorial also moves the mouse pointer etc. but you need to click first on a
> button to start the tutorial. So if we add a button in kpersonalizer to start
> the KMenu tutorial (and maybe others too) the problem of screaming users will
> dissapear I guess ;)

i think taking control of the pointer is bad in every case. Creating a new
"pointer-like" that floats around and leaving the user follow it with the real
pointer is a better hint. The "teaching pointer" should assume a different
shape and also pop up some sort of textual hint. Think as something like Amor
but with a more useful target that amusing the user while it works.

> It will be also very nice if we make adaptions on the (showed) tutorials
> based on information from previous steps. e.g.: If a user select that he used
> MS Windows before, the KMenu tutorial shows too MS Windows terms in the text
> screens (see Kolor Lines) on the screen and an interactive tutorial about
> using the mouse will not be showed in the list.

a step by step tutorial was discussed and could be a great idea, but IIRC was
argumented about improving the dcop interface of the desktop objects.