List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMenu tooltip
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2003-08-23 22:37:20

Op zaterdag 23 augustus 2003 13:29, schreef Sébastien Laoût:
> Hello,
>
> Hum... Quite off topic thing :
>
> I propose to apply a background image on the KMenu button.
> So, users can realize its importance and can clic to see it.
>
> I've joined my personnal configuration and you can see that my KMenu has
> a "blue_wood_*.png" background picture (it's the only one that is pretty
> with "green_blood_*.png" one : perhapse we must make more modern and
> cool tiles ? ).
> I dislike the background pictures in kicker (because quite uggly : all
> applets are not transparent) but used with parcimony only in the KMenu
> can be a good (usability and pretty) think.
>
> What do you think about ?

The intention is good but it's more difficult to recognize the icon because of
the clutter of the background image. Another proposal:

1) The first time you start KDE you <are pointed to the K icon>.
2) When you close KDE that first time without having used the K menu, the
behavior of step 1 will be there again the next time you start KDE. etc.
3) If you found the K menu (which you will do faster because you <are pointed
to the K icon> when you never had clicked on the K icon) and open it, the
<pointing to the K menu> will stop and be remembered for next times.

So this is a one time kind of help to make the user will find faster the K
menu the first time he uses KDE. Because it only hapens only in the
beginning, this will not annoye someone.

Some ideas for the <pointing to the K menu>:
o A tooltip above the K icon with inside information about the K menu and an
arrow pointing to the K icon.
o Blinking K icon: red transparent layer->normal->red transparent layer->...
o "Jumping" K icon.
o A big arrow on the screen pointing to the K icon.
o A bigger than normal K icon in the beginning (e.g.: twice as big as the
other icons in kicker).
o ...

Another remark: it helps also if we reduce the number of application icons
kicker.

<snip>

- --
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.