List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Ark description: 'Zip' vs 'Compression' vs 'Archiver'
From:       William Leese <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2003-08-21 18:57:26

Gérard Delafond wrote:

>Le Jeudi 21 Août 2003 20:09, William Leese a écrit :
>

>>David Hugh-Jones wrote:
>>

>>>not everybody knows what "Archiving"  is. I suspect they think more about
>>>"zip files", or "compression", with "zip" having a lot of instant
>>>recognition.
>>>
>>>"file (un)zipper"?
>>>"file compressor"?
>>>

>compressing is not archiving.
>a tar file is an uncompressed archive.
>a zipped text file is a compressed file, not an archive.

The problem is that ark does both. Because there is limited space to
describe the application you have to prioritize either the archiving
aspect or the compression ascept. Unless we can agree that we can use
'File Compressor/Archiver'? I don't like this approach, because it'll
lead to lengthly descriptions.

Ark is a bit of a corner case I think.

- wvl