List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: K Menu: Name (Description) -> Description (Name)
From:       Gérard Delafond <gerard () delafond ! org>
Date:       2003-08-20 20:23:46

Le Mercredi 20 Août 2003 21:28, Henrique Pinto a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 20 August 2003 15:51, William Leese wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > After some discussion on the kde-usability mailinglist about the default
> > K Menu naming scheme the general consensus was that using '"Description
> > (Name)" is prefered over "Name (Description)". Recognising the function
> > of an application based on it's name is a very daunting task for new
> > users and even existing users because of the large amount of similar
> > applications.
I think it is very important users know the name of the application they use.
But giving only the name is not enough for beginners, as they need to know
what this funny names program is made for.
So, the only choices are "name (description)" or "description(name)"
It is not very important, but I still prefer the first one.
-people like naming things by their technical name (I drive my Porsche, not my
car)
-you play "ktuberling", not "a game for kids"
-"word processor" does not really describe what is KWord, and what differences
there are with OOo or Abiword

--
Gerard