List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE3 defaults
From:       Michael Pye <mdpye () ntlworld ! com>
Date:       2003-08-18 13:53:38

On Monday 18 August 2003 10:25 am, Sander Devrieze wrote:

> What I like to say is that there *is* some relation between hyperlinks and
> local files and that because of this some consistency in showing them
> should exist.

But hyperlinks are only underlined to differentiate them from regular text. We
already know that icon views are full of icons, there is nothing they need to
be distinguished from.

When it comes right down to it, underlining is a very ugly effect which
considerably increases the perceived "clutter" of the interface, but more
importantly underlining ALL the icon text is completely pointless. It is
meant to be used for emphasis or to distinguish different types of text, yet
all the icon texts are of the same type (um, type: icon text...)!

MP