List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE3 defaults
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <sebastien.laout () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2003-08-18 14:31:32

> > What I like to say is that there *is* some relation between hyperlinks and
> > local files and that because of this some consistency in showing them
> > should exist.
>
> But hyperlinks are only underlined to differentiate them from regular text. We
> already know that icon views are full of icons, there is nothing they need to
> be distinguished from.
Good remarq.

> When it comes right down to it, underlining is a very ugly effect which
> considerably increases the perceived "clutter" of the interface, but more
> importantly underlining ALL the icon text is completely pointless. It is
> meant to be used for emphasis or to distinguish different types of text, yet
> all the icon texts are of the same type (um, type: icon text...)!
Good remarq : I've desactivated the underlining effect because it's too
clutter.
But, as I said in my precedent mail, underlining is important for single
click.
So, what I propose is to underline icons WHEN MOUSE OVER (as Konqueror
do in my KDE) : so the two problems are resolved : more pretty and not
lose users that instinctivly double click (IMO, of course ! ).