List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE3 defaults
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <sebastien.laout () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2003-08-18 13:38:53

> Reason for the improved visibility is the fact that the Pager has a
> blank space to it's left most of the time, as opposed to having it
> inbetween an icon and the taskbar. The layout of the panel is like so:
>
> [start applications] [running applications][various applets]
>
> Any argument to keep it on the left?
Yes, I have.
IMO, a more hyerarchical way is :
[start apps] [choose desk] [running apps of this desk] [various applets]
First, you choose your active desktop, and then you choose your
application. In a western-culture : left to right.
I also think the "Show windows of all desktops" must be defaulted to off
!! Users are confused to change desktop and have no feedback (entries in
the taskbar are the same :-/ ). And, normally, when you want
multi-desktops you expect to have specific apps in each of this desks,
and not have a list of all opened windows.

> Nope: if people want to use the feature, they click first. on a
> virtual desktop. After this they move the mouse to some of the
> application icons in kicker to start them, to the K-menu or to icons
> on the desktop (which are standard place on the left of the desktop).
I also agree.

> > - konqueror ('Home'): turn off underline filenames
> yeeeeeeeees! I hate that underline.
No ! If we activate the single click, display icons underlineds can help
users so do the near with web link and quickly learn to click only one
time.
But, in double click environment, underlining can be removed !