List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE3 defaults - kpersonalizer
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2003-08-17 14:32:53

Op zondag 17 augustus 2003 16:28, schreef William Leese:
> Sander Devrieze wrote:
> >
> >Op zondag 17 augustus 2003 10:35, schreef William Leese:
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> >>But the question was should a text editor belong on the
> >>panel by default. It shouldn't because it won't be used as often as say
> >>Konqueror, KMail, and KWord.
> >
> >I also think this but not for all people. IMO (see another mail of mine in
> >this thread) this problem can be solved by optimalising the kicker
> >application icons based on what the user like to do with his computer. So
> > a step in kpersonalizer which asks were you like to use the computer for.
> > A list of tasks (word processing, e-mail, web browsing, listen to music,
> > command line,...-->all these things separated in advanced and
> > not-advanced things maybe) with checkboxes (some default checked). Also
> > some preview of how kicker will look like which updates immediatly when
> > you (de)select something is necessary IMO. Also eventually the posibility
> > to show information about the icons when you click on them and to edit
> > the list manually are maybe nice. Should I submit a whish on
> > bugs.kde.org?
>
> Sounds nice. Something like:
>
> [Panel Icons]
> Please select up to 8 tasks you'll most often perform on this computer.
> An icon will
> be created on the panel for easy access to each of the selected tasks.
> Note that
> these tasks will be available from the KMenu at all times.
>
> [X] Web Browsing
> [X] Emailing
> [X] Writing documents

correction: Word Processing

> [X] Listening to music

IMO: [  ] Listening to online music stations
And this adds a button for kderadiostation ;)

> [X] Wachting video
IMO: [  ]

> [X] CD Burning

IMO: [  ] because not everyone have a CD writer and use this on dailly base
(even I use my writer only few times)

> [X] Instant Messaging

IMO: [  ] because most people will like that an IM app starts every time they
start KDE (so they don't need a buton).

> [  ] Basic text editing
> [  ] Advanced text editing
=word processing IMO

> [  ] KDE Development 8-)

[  ] Web master =>entry for Qaunta and maybe others too.

- --
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.