List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE3 defaults - kpersonalizer
From:       William Leese <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2003-08-17 14:28:34

Sander Devrieze wrote:

>Op zondag 17 augustus 2003 10:35, schreef William Leese:
>
><snip>
>

>>But the question was should a text editor belong on the
>>panel by default. It shouldn't because it won't be used as often as say
>>Konqueror, KMail, and KWord.
>>

>I also think this but not for all people. IMO (see another mail of mine in
>this thread) this problem can be solved by optimalising the kicker
>application icons based on what the user like to do with his computer. So a
>step in kpersonalizer which asks were you like to use the computer for. A
>list of tasks (word processing, e-mail, web browsing, listen to music,
>command line,...-->all these things separated in advanced and not-advanced
>things maybe) with checkboxes (some default checked). Also some preview of
>how kicker will look like which updates immediatly when you (de)select
>something is necessary IMO. Also eventually the posibility to show
>information about the icons when you click on them and to edit the list
>manually are maybe nice. Should I submit a whish on bugs.kde.org?

Sounds nice. Something like:

[Panel Icons]
Please select up to 8 tasks you'll most often perform on this computer.
An icon will
be created on the panel for easy access to each of the selected tasks.
Note that
these tasks will be available from the KMenu at all times.

[X] Web Browsing
[X] Emailing
[X] Writing documents
[X] Listening to music